General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Profiler 12* sbc hmmm.

Post by GARY C »

cjperformance wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:04 pm
KnightEngines wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:54 pm Yeah, that's the biggest drawback to running a symmetrical port head with a single carb - they come alive with a ram that can get the runners lined up properly & all the same length, but a single 4 hurts them.
Holden "VN's" have this problem, those end runners can never have a 'proper' manifold runner with a single 4, even stock port layout SBC's have an advantage in that respect.
Ah yes i dont look at VN & Red much but im just looking at VN's and some Red308's now, yes VN of course same issue as Clevo / BBF and Red308's similar issue intake port to BBC.
Just another good excuse to run a t-ram or I.R. :D
Yes that was one thing I noticed on the intakes, how the end runner entry is completely out of the plenum carb opening.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Cleveland copy with a floor wing. Gotta love it...

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I read about the winged floor Cleveland in an old Ford book years ago, it was a port design a Ford engineer came up with but he got fired and destroyed the prototype before it could come into production...lol. Nice looking port Chad.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

:roll: :lol:

It looks good, Chad.
-Bob
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Since this thread is about ford and chev and other heads, I have a question. I am misunderstanding the nomenclature http://www.chiheads.com.au/product-cate ... -heads/3v/
What's the gig with 2v 3v 4v 5v heads? I always thought that meant how many valves per cylinder yet the above link calls that two valve head a 3v... Whattha????
Back in the day 2v and 4v meant carburetor. Someone please help me understand. Thanks.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:28 pm Since this thread is about ford and chev and other heads, I have a question. I am misunderstanding the nomenclature http://www.chiheads.com.au/product-cate ... -heads/3v/
What's the gig with 2v 3v 4v 5v heads? I always thought that meant how many valves per cylinder yet the above link calls that two valve head a 3v... Whattha????
Back in the day 2v and 4v meant carburetor. Someone please help me understand. Thanks.
Ford designated their 2 barrel Cleveland engine heads "2V" & the 4 barrel Cleveland heads "4V". It was actually cast in the top corner of the head near the valve cover flange. I guess CHI just took that & went hog-ass wild with it lol.
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

cspeier wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:45 pm Cleveland copy with a floor wing. Gotta love it...

LMAO way to tie it all togther Chad. Excellent!
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Chad is that a port intruder on the right side of the wing?
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:28 pm Since this thread is about ford and chev and other heads, I have a question. I am misunderstanding the nomenclature http://www.chiheads.com.au/product-cate ... -heads/3v/
In original Ford speak,,,
2V = 2 Venturi Carb , (used on the small port cleveland heads)
4V = 4 Venturi Carb , (used on the large port cleveland heads)
But it only really applied to port size on USA Clevelands as Ford used 2V & 4V on the FE & 385 series big blocks and SBF with no change in port size and then Ford Australia did the Cleveland using 2V & 4V carb and naming on small port heads.
Basically if you're talking Clevelands and say 2V you're refering to small port heads and 4V is refering to large port heads.
Chi use 3V as a designation for a port size part way between traditional 2v and 4v, in loose term its a floor filled (and much improved) 4v port. Basically industry slang to reference different size/location/volume aftermarket ports.
Craig.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

cspeier wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:45 pm Cleveland copy with a floor wing. Gotta love it...

Nice, i dint think it was in Ford's plan to bang a head bolt hole thru the port floor though!
But in all seriousness, its a nice head. Do you have a pic of the exhaust side?
Cheers
Craig.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

It looks like what a GM splayed head would have looked like if they had paid attention to the racing world. Would have been a hell of a lot better starting point for PST's and comp.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Rick Finsta wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm Chad is that a port intruder on the right side of the wing?
No, that is the head bolt hole.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

cjperformance wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Nice, i dint think it was in Ford's plan to bang a head bolt hole thru the port floor though!
But in all seriousness, its a nice head. Do you have a pic of the exhaust side?
Cheers
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

cspeier wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:19 am
Zmechanic wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 am
Looks.. Takes up area when you have an extremely large bowl. Also get's people to ask, "what is that wing on the floor"..
Chad, why you be so sassy?
About what? The floor wing?
Yes. I'm just messing around. I couldn't remember if this was the same as the RPD head and I started googling and found your response. Gave me a chuckle. :P