Race Engine Challenge II

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Race Engine Challenge II

Post by CamKing »

plovett wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:26 pm I think that might be a good thing. A spec spring would show the advantage of smaller CID engines with smaller lighter valve trains. We're so often doing the opposite. I'm not going to say that stupid rhyme about large volume engines.
That's not the point of this competition. It's to showcase the engine builders abilities, and to reward innovation. With a spec spring rule, you'd have 15 engines, all built to the minimum CID, with the lightest valvetrain available. The guy that can spend the most time on the spin-tron, will have a huge advantage. IMO, that would make for a boring competition.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

In-Tech wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 am or perhaps the 2.08 with a 50 degree seat :wink:
I would have went 2.08" 55* if there was more time.

When I told one of the other guys on our team what I was gonna do, he said that won't help score. I said I don't think so either, but I want to see it anyway, and I'm staying 50* seats on the other heads, so they won't go backwards.

Part of doing the EMC ( or any testing ) is to see differences. It's easier to see differences with bigger changes.

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:38 am
In-Tech wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 am or perhaps the 2.08 with a 50 degree seat :wink:

When I told one of the other guys on our team what I was gonna do, he said that won't help score. I said I don't think so either, but I want to see it anyway, and I'm staying 50* seats on the other heads, so they won't go backwards.

Part of doing the EMC ( or any testing ) is to see differences. It's easier to see differences with bigger changes.

Randy
I would have like to have seen that as well, with cam#2 specifically. But yet I'm still thinking that any of this would fail to qualify anyone of us as anything but an average HOT ROD engine builder, not a professional one by any means.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

randy331 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:38 am

Funny, when you originally posted the results, that was my first thought! LOL
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

CGT wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:26 pm I would have like to have seen that as well, with cam#2 specifically. But yet I'm still thinking that any of this would fail to qualify anyone of us as anything but an average HOT ROD engine builder, not a professional one by any means.
Have you sold any of these engines?
If so, you're a professional engine builder.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
user-29956

Post by user-29956 »

pro·fes·sion·al.

[prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l]

1.a person engaged or qualified in a profession:

This seems to disqualify a good bit of what I run across online =D>
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Which leads to: "Profession: Noun. 1. a vocation requiring knowledge of some department of learning or science:." :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

OK here is where we seem to be at unless I am missing something.
370 to 470 inches, no more valve lift than 0.755 at zero lash. What else is there that looks like it is likely to be fixed as of now??
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

David Vizard wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 pm OK here is where we seem to be at unless I am missing something.
370 to 470 inches, no more valve lift than 0.755 at zero lash. What else is there that looks like it is likely to be fixed as of now??
DV
I don't think ANYTHING is fixed. Who put YOU on the rules committee?

Rick
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Rick360 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:22 pm
David Vizard wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 pm OK here is where we seem to be at unless I am missing something.
DV

Rick
Rick,

Don't quite see how your comment is warranted. I don't know anything for certain but this is the talk I hear. That is why I used the word 'seem' and asked the question 'What else is there that looks likely to be fixed ----'. How does any of that even remotely make you consider I am electing myself to the rules committee??

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I am really looking forward to finding out the wording of the intake manifold rule which is said to allow quite a bit of ingenuity there...

It should be interesting to say the least.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:16 pm I am really looking forward to finding out the wording of the intake manifold rule which is said to allow quite a bit of ingenuity there...

It should be interesting to say the least.
So, like me Walter, you have kept your ear to the ground for any info. I am blank on what is going on for the intake rules. Up till now I have assumed that we will most likely get a free choice of off the shelf 1 x 4 intakes which we can modify at least to a measurable extent. But what you are implying here is that we will get more leeway than that ---- good.
DV
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

David Vizard wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:39 pm

DV

Rick
Rick,

Don't quite see how your comment is warranted. I don't know anything for certain but this is the talk I hear. That is why I used the word 'seem' and asked the question 'What else is there that looks likely to be fixed ----'. How does any of that even remotely make you consider I am electing myself to the rules committee??

DV
Here's what Greg posted ...
Gregory wrote:The guiding light for our first contest is an engine for a strong street/strip engine.
Where did YOUR ci or valve lift limits come from? Greg hasn't posted those numbers. Post what YOU like or dislike in rules, don't make it seem like YOUR opinion is some consensus from the Speedtalk members. Wait for Greg to post HIS rules like everyone else.

One SURE way to make a new engine contest a failure is to tell SOME people the rules before releasing them publicly.

Rick
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Rick360 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm
David Vizard wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Rick
Rick,

DV
Here's what Greg posted ...
Gregory wrote:The guiding light for our first contest is an engine for a strong street/strip engine.
Where did YOUR ci or valve lift limits come from? Greg hasn't posted those numbers. Post what YOU like or dislike in rules, don't make it seem like YOUR opinion is some consensus from the Speedtalk members. Wait for Greg to post HIS rules like everyone else.

One SURE way to make a new engine contest a failure is to tell SOME people the rules before releasing them publicly.

Rick
Rick,
I am beginning to suspect that I did you some terrible injustice in a past life. Is there anything I could say or do that you wouldn't either misinterpret or disapprove of?
DV

PS I think I already know the answer but it it's only a guess. I will wait until you confirm my suspicions.
DV
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Nice selective quoting.