8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: 8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

Post by David Vizard »

This ring processing 'machine' is moving along slower than I'd like but here is a piston and rod at TDC in the block.

I see a lot of comments about bedding in the rings. This setup is not about bedding in the rings it's more about not having to bed the rings in at all.The current top hi-tech engines do not have a honed bore finish or rings that 'bed in'. Sealing is near perfect and life expectancy is off the chart. The bill looks like a telephone number with the area code left off!

On my setup the rings will have a super highly polished ceramic coated finish and that will be about the best I can do on my budget.

DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Ah, a subtle but important distinction David: your rig is in essence an additional final step in ring manufacture, not a part of the engine build/prep!
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

MadBill wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:33 am Ah, a subtle but important distinction David: your rig is in essence an additional final step in ring manufacture, not a part of the engine build/prep!
Now if I had thought to put it that way there would have been a lot less confusion!!
Thanks Bill,
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

You know someone will mention that piston is upsidedown!
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Carnut1 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:44 am You know someone will mention that piston is upsidedown!
Followed by some sarcastic emojis, lol.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

There is an old saying along the lines of "Shouting a man down before hearing what he has to say is the greatest form of ignorance".
I wish I could find the actual quote...My guess is, Madbill has it. :D

I think it's something we could all work on.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

It's a long rod apparatus so you don't have to use your hands :D
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

David has some free time on his hands. Maybe way to much free time.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

RAS wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm David has some free time on his hands. Maybe way to much free time.
You are joking of course!!!!
DV
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

A true dedicated hot rodder would attach the piston to a stick and burnish the rings in the bore by hand. The whole automatic function is way overated. Plus think of the workout you would get. No need for cardio at the gym...got 7 more sets of rings to finish...lol.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

RAS wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm David has some free time on his hands. Maybe way to much free time.
Denny the owner of Motor Machine from your state told me in early 2000 "If you want to work with David you better pack a lunch" Denny has long since retired!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

David Vizard wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:27 am This ring processing 'machine' is moving along slower than I'd like but here is a piston and rod at TDC in the block.

I see a lot of comments about bedding in the rings. This setup is not about bedding in the rings it's more about not having to bed the rings in at all.The current top hi-tech engines do not have a honed bore finish or rings that 'bed in'. Sealing is near perfect and life expectancy is off the chart. The bill looks like a telephone number with the area code left off!

On my setup the rings will have a super highly polished ceramic coated finish and that will be about the best I can do on my budget.

DV
Can’t be bothered reading through the 18 pages of waffle, so can you give us a run down on the ring process again please? I’m ASSuming you have the rings coated, then finish/polish them in bores prepped the same way in the long rod engine as the actual engine they will be run in?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:27 pm
David Vizard wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:27 am This ring processing 'machine' is moving along slower than I'd like but here is a piston and rod at TDC in the block.

DV
Can’t be bothered reading through the 18 pages of waffle, so can you give us a run down on the ring process again please? I’m ASSuming you have the rings coated, then finish/polish them in bores prepped the same way in the long rod engine as the actual engine they will be run in?
It's copied to the top of the previous page.
Please Note!
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Any piston rock to be expected, or am I wrong for thinking that could be an issue for finsish surface of the rings.
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

GARY C wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm It's copied to the top of the previous page.
Thanks Gary!