Ford MEL engine? Whaaaaaaaaaa???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Ford MEL engine? Whaaaaaaaaaa???

Post by pamotorman »

looks like ford every time they designed a new engine they also changed the bell housing bolt pattern. that made swapping engines a lot harder than chevy with the same bell housing pattern for both SB and BB since 1955
jac mac

Post by jac mac »

If your not afraid to think outside the square play with the MEL...
1. MEL shares same bore centers along with many other dimensions to the 429/460 block.
2. 429/460 cranks plus aftermarket versions can be used in MEL block with line bore of main brg tunnels & mod for rear seal.
3. Can use 429/460 pistons with aftermart rods & machine piston crown for small squish pad to match deck angle.
4. I used MEL cam, but you should be able to modify 429/460 camshaft to fit.
5. Bell housing bolt pattern is FE -390/428 etc, so any trans option for those will work.
6. MEL block has very small dia oil galleries, I made up long drills~7/16" dia to enlarge them, could look at extra hose to rear of main gallery also.

None of the above is easy, but if you want to keep the MEL its not as bad as some people paint it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Krooser wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:10 pm I remember riding with my parents in my Uncle Mike's new '59 Lincoln with a 430... he was running about 120 mph on a local two lane when he fell asleep after drinking a few too many 'boilermakers'...my Aunt Ann had to keep poking him to stay awake!
My Dad used to run his big Packard straight-8 about 120 or so mph back then too!!

Concrete/one lane and gravel the other lane!

What a hoot!!

Dad wasn't drinking thou... He would just run the big sucker to blow the cobs out of it...

pdq67
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 pm
Krooser wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:10 pm I remember riding with my parents in my Uncle Mike's new '59 Lincoln with a 430... he was running about 120 mph on a local two lane when he fell asleep after drinking a few too many 'boilermakers'...my Aunt Ann had to keep poking him to stay awake!
Would have been unfortunate if you all had been killed to make it happen, but at least the wreck would have destroyed one of the ugliest cars ever built.

Funny how the mind works- when I saw the outline of that thing I immediately thought...Paint a GM bowtie across the length of it. :lol:
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

cjperformance wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:35 am
grant6395 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:57 pm You could always purchase kasse's MEL from this years engine masters. What an engineering marvel. The man is nutz. 🏁
Hey can you give me a link to that?
Always liked the FE/FT/MEL , kind of like the steam engine of BBF's. Just cool.
Cheers,
I don't have the link. Just look up hot rod magazine engine masters. It should be there.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

jac mac wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 am If your not afraid to think outside the square play with the MEL...
1. MEL shares same bore centers along with many other dimensions to the 429/460 block.
2. 429/460 cranks plus aftermarket versions can be used in MEL block with line bore of main brg tunnels & mod for rear seal.
3. Can use 429/460 pistons with aftermart rods & machine piston crown for small squish pad to match deck angle.
4. I used MEL cam, but you should be able to modify 429/460 camshaft to fit.
5. Bell housing bolt pattern is FE -390/428 etc, so any trans option for those will work.
6. MEL block has very small dia oil galleries, I made up long drills~7/16" dia to enlarge them, could look at extra hose to rear of main gallery also.

None of the above is easy, but if you want to keep the MEL its not as bad as some people paint it.
Sorry, but the 460 camshafts are not remotely possible to modify and fit a MEL engine. Spacing is all wrong, distributor gear is wrong, and the length is totally different. Wish it were true, but alas, not even close. Joe-71
Joe-71
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Dam that is a good looking car!!

Put her about 120 or so mph and f** go....................

pdq67
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Didn't one of these win the very first Daytona 500?
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Assuming you're not joking, no. You may be thinking of the "squarebird" T-bird that Lee Petty beat with his '59 Olds
in a photo finish. https://goo.gl/images/s2UTT9 IIRC engine would have been a 352 FE.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

ZIGGY wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 pm Assuming you're not joking, no. You may be thinking of the "squarebird" T-bird that Lee Petty beat with his '59 Olds
in a photo finish. https://goo.gl/images/s2UTT9 IIRC engine would have been a 352 FE.
Finished 2nd sorry. I'm pretty sure that the Holman Moody prepared Thunderbirds used the 430 MEL engine. Not so good for handling but fast down the straights!
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Upon reflection, I believe you are correct. Being mostly a Ford engine guy at that time with my hot rods
I should have remembered that. I do remember when I priced one at a local (East Tn.) salvage yard
circa 1960 it was 400 bucks. "Late model" engine at the time of course. To get back to OP's question
of easiest way to replace the missing engine & tran. for cruiser use, I'd go ask on the HAMB.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ Like most forums of its type, lot of b.s. but some serious knowledge
as well.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

ZIGGY wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:06 pm Upon reflection, I believe you are correct. Being mostly a Ford engine guy at that time with my hot rods
I should have remembered that. I do remember when I priced one at a local (East Tn.) salvage yard
circa 1960 it was 400 bucks. "Late model" engine at the time of course. To get back to OP's question
of easiest way to replace the missing engine & tran. for cruiser use, I'd go ask on the HAMB.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ Like most forums of its type, lot of b.s. but some serious knowledge
as well.
I'd say that the MEL engine must not have been particularly common and I bet it was a pretty expensive engine. I've worked on quite a bit of "old stuff' but I've never worked on an MEL.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Ooops.
Last edited by Schurkey on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Never mind.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

1959 NHRA top eliminator was this MEL powered dragster...This was during the Nitro ban....

Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire