MSD won't repair there own products

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

emsvitil
Pro
Pro
Re: MSD won't repair there own products

Post by emsvitil »

I don't know how many times I've taken something apart to find a problem, don't find anything, and then put it back together and it works perfectly.............
Ed
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

GARY C wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am

The thought was that they were fixing them but not admitting a problem in case someone wanted to sue for a damaged engine.
More than likely just swapping them for another.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Hasn't MSD been sold recently? No longer owned by Autronics? Maybe just a shop front company now, with the actual parts made by a third party company...who are not interested or set up for repairs...
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

MSD is no longer a "family owned" type of company.
Got sold twice not to many years ago and the corporate bean counters took over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSD_Ignition
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

MSD is now owned by Holley, along with everything else that isn't Edelbrock.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

GARY C wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am Early 2000 I had several friends with their boxs and retards, after sending them in MSD claimed their was nothing wrong with them but strangely they worked perfect once returned.
I have had the same thing happen three times with them. Pay for their inspection service (or what ever they called it back then) and get it back and the issues went away. It was not the vehicle wiring as harnesses were built right up to the box, and those stayed the same. (We had checked and double checked the wiring in the vehicles).

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

Schurkey wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:58 am MSD is now owned by Holley, along with everything else that isn't Edelbrock.
Yep, I learned this the other day when researching my Accel 300+ ignition, which they discontinued as they already own MSD. Shame since I'm an old grump and will never purchase an MSD labeled product. [-X
Holley Brands.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
canada1

Post by canada1 »

I believe the MSD 7AL-3 has potted internals.
This makes the part a non-repairable item.
Have you ever tried to repair a potted circuit board?

Was the MSD part past warranty period?

Cheers
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

FC-Pilot wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:06 pm
GARY C wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am Early 2000 I had several friends with their boxs and retards, after sending them in MSD claimed their was nothing wrong with them but strangely they worked perfect once returned.
I have had the same thing happen three times with them. Pay for their inspection service (or what ever they called it back then) and get it back and the issues went away. It was not the vehicle wiring as harnesses were built right up to the box, and those stayed the same. (We had checked and double checked the wiring in the vehicles).

Paul
Yes that was the same with these guys, ran all the in car test to confirm it wasn't working, then got it back plugged it in and it worked.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Just did a 357c with brand new out of box 8580 msd dist. On dyno timing jumping all over then hit 4000 and quit altogether. Hmm. Check everything out only to find out that cleveland distributor had Windsor gear installed. They did replace dist. but sorry about cam gear, lifters and cleaning fragments out of engine. Another thing to double check. Grr
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

before buying another MSD box you might not like, take a look at Daytona Sensors
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

I liked Jacob,s stuff a lot but they bought out as well as Mallory and disappeared for the most part.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

autogear wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:20 pm before buying another MSD box you might not like, take a look at Daytona Sensors
Yes they seem to be a fairly small dedicated company, their progressive nitrous timers with data acquisition have gotten good reports and don't suffer interference like others, they make them for Wilson manifolds and a cpl of other compnys as well.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Bought a offset dist from these guys. Very good to deal with and excellent product!!http://swartzracingmanifolds.com/
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

emsvitil wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:22 am I don't know how many times I've taken something apart to find a problem, don't find anything, and then put it back together and it works perfectly.............
Makes ya really believe in quantum mechanics. Observation alters the outcome. You observe that there's nothing wrong, and the outcome changes.