Want to find: good crank grinding in NE IL or SE WI

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

fordboy628

Want to find: good crank grinding in NE IL or SE WI

Post by fordboy628 »

Looking for QUALITY crank grinding service in the Chicago, Milwaukee, Rockford triangle. MUST be able to grind a decent radius and maintain stroke. Mostly 4 cylinder applications. Anybody have any shop they would recommend?
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Re: Want to find: good crank grinding in NE IL or SE WI

Post by williamsmotowerx »

262-268-0040 Jeff St Peter. Give him a call
fordboy628

Post by fordboy628 »

Thanks, I'll give him a call.

Cheers
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

and maintain stroke.
When an accurate crank is wanted, it's best to discuss and have the shop agree to the max allowable variation in stroke and indexing. It's incredibly tedious to get it on the money. Another factor, there is a surprisingly high percentage of V8 cranks which can't be brought in close on both stroke and index. Many will take more than .030" to get them all the same, essentially scrapping the crank after much machine time.
Mostly 4 cylinder applications.
I've been told most import 4-cylinder cranks, are both a much simpler piece and more accurate from the factory and thus usually easier to get on stroke.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
fordboy628

Post by fordboy628 »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:41 pm
and maintain stroke.
When an accurate crank is wanted, it's best to discuss and have the shop agree to the max allowable variation in stroke and indexing. It's incredibly tedious to get it on the money. Another factor, there is a surprisingly high percentage of V8 cranks which can't be brought in close on both stroke and index. Many will take more than .030" to get them all the same, essentially scrapping the crank after much machine time.
Mostly 4 cylinder applications.
I've been told most import 4-cylinder cranks, are both a much simpler piece and more accurate from the factory and thus usually easier to get on stroke.
Thanks for the input. I would agree that there are lots of cranks out there that are . . . inaccurate. IMHO, because they are NOT checked, at any stage of engine build. What I am running into is an attitude problem: "This is how we do it. If you don't like it, too bad" Unfortunately, these are the same type of folks who do not think that a radius dresser is something they should use, even if their grinder has one. Why they would think a radius is "unimportant", is beyond me.

Most of the time, I am using a billet or other aftermarket crank for the stuff I'm doing. But I have about 15 Ford 2.0L cranks that are stock "take-outs" that I want to prep for SCCA type racing. Can't do it without grinding .25/.25 u/size, hence the search.

Yeah, I could ship the batch to one of the larger crankshaft specialty manufacturers, but the cost would then exceed any "market value".

At my age, I gotta be able to make a few bucks on these types of deals, or it's not worth getting up off the couch . . . . . .

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

thoughts when vetting a crank grinder.
1: make sure they understand you are not after a throw it out the door budget grind. Be willing to pay for the time.
2: Someone that does diesel cranks is more likely to be up on the radius game. Diesels break without the radius being righteous.
3: Either should have a tool to measure actual stroke and I don't mean the numbers on the crank grinder itself.
In fact you may want to find out where your strokes stand before making any visit. You may find that the strokes vary from the factory.
4 poppers are generally better than V8s. The point is that some may be long and some short. If that is the case you often have to settle for a finish stroke somewhere in between if you want to take the minimum metal off of the rod journal.
4: You may want to politely ask to see their stroke checking tool
should look like this. If they deal with longer strokes or diesel the legs will be longer.
If they hesitate or don't have one move on to the next guy.
FWIW some use dial calipers with a similar stand. Dial calipers suck as far as accuracy.
You may want to buy your own tool if you do enough of this stuff. Makes folks toe the line within reason.

crankcheck1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Bossman

Post by Bossman »

I grind heavy diesel cranks and do automotive cranks for my side line hobby building performance engines the only problem is i am in south louisiana freight probably wouldn't be feasible check out hebertsdieselservice.com
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Bossman wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:40 pm I grind heavy diesel cranks and do automotive cranks for my side line hobby building performance engines the only problem is i am in south louisiana freight probably wouldn't be feasible check out hebertsdieselservice.com
Would that be good old Archie Herbert??
He's good if we are talking the same guy =D> :D

This should be posted in the engine tech forum as well if you want a better response
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Bossman

Post by Bossman »

That's me :D
Bossman

Post by Bossman »

2017-04-30 11.39.13.jpg
posting.php?mode=reply&f=35&t=51383#pr749289

This is some of the cranks we deal with and grind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.