BLP Twin Blade carb

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
BLP Twin Blade carb

Post by Dragsinger »

Anyone racing with the BLP twin blade design?
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re: BLP Twin Blade carb

Post by jmarkaudio »

I've built several, still have an E85 one built I run on a test car, and one left to build. BLP doesn't sell them anymore, you have to get them from Mike Laws at Get'm Garage or I can build one.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
fastvette
Expert
Expert

Post by fastvette »

Is there any advantage to the twin blade carb?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIITBanJDs
http://www.harshmanauto.com
John Haskell

Post by John Haskell »

Ask Brandon Huhtala. NHRA B/A & C/A. Look it up.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/carburet ... ng-design/

A bit off topic but has anyone used one of these Silverback carbs ?
Craig.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

fastvette wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:06 pm Is there any advantage to the twin blade carb?
The advantage is for classes that must run 4150 carbs. If no one else is running one, and you get your hands on one, you will have an advantage, as they flow more than most dominators. Or, there are classes that give weight breaks for 4150 carbs, although, some rules guys have caught on, and now there is no weight break for them.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:13 am
fastvette wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:06 pm Is there any advantage to the twin blade carb?
The advantage is for classes that must run 4150 carbs. If no one else is running one, and you get your hands on one, you will have an advantage, as they flow more than most dominators. Or, there are classes that give weight breaks for 4150 carbs, although, some rules guys have caught on, and now there is no weight break for them.
Actually not. The original Little Bo, now called a 1200, dry flow tops about 1250 with a machined down leg, with custom annulars I've hit 1220. A stock 1050 Dominator will flow about 1250, with some work right at 1300 CFM. The big advantage is the ability to run it on a 4150 intake and flow almost as much as a 1050 Dominator, HP difference is negligible. There are two bigger versions coming out that will fit a Dominator intake and will dry flow up to around 1600 CFM. With billet these days you can get up to a 2.800 throttle blade flowing up to around 2000 CFM, so size can be made to suit.
Mark Whitener
____

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking the twin blades could flow more, because of the big 4 barrel billet 4150's. I have used one of them from BLP for a truck pull deal, carb worked VERY well. We also use a billet 2.45 blade dominator from Devane that works incredibly well. You can put a 2.8 in the 4150 body?
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

There is an oval blade due soon like the big 4150's. And no 2.800, 2.200 is the biggest in the large 4150, I've built 2 of those.
Mark Whitener
____

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

How much gain from say the 2.45 to a 2.8 on a spread port bbc that spins 8500? 15-20? Maybe a bit more? I have heard they are finicky, like, you really should have egt's or a wide band and constantly adjust. Some say its not worth the headache. Thoughts? Also curious, what do you think of that new bowl set up from I think its dam best.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I wouldn't use a 2.800 on that engine, 2.400 is plenty. The guy running the 2.800's are spinning in the 9000-10,000 range, and in a couple cases the 2.800 is still too big. The booster also needs to be redesigned as well for a venturi that large, I've been working on that. The 2.800 would be better suited for 700" plus engines that can pull more velocity thru the carb. What some don't realize is a larger carb doesn't necessarily pull more air, it just takes less power to pump air thru it, less pumping losses. And it's a balance, lowest pumping losses without significantly hurting distribution of fuel. Distribution with a single carb is improved with a more restrictive carb, higher vacuum/pressure difference helps vaporization, helps keep fuel in suspension. But it does it at the expense of pumping losses.
Mark Whitener
____

340king
Expert
Expert

Post by 340king »

That's why I always suggested to the bracket racers that they might want to use a slightly smaller carb to improve consistency. The small changes in air didn't affect the engine that was already starving a little for air as much.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

What is the advantage of running a 2.4 or larger blade and then having to run a skirted booster to make it work.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

steve316 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 am What is the advantage of running a 2.4 or larger blade and then having to run a skirted booster to make it work.
Good question... Let me know if anyone else can give you an answer that makes sense...

What I see on the flow bench is that the skirt does nothing more than make the carb smaller. It does make the booster signal higher, but only because it's making the carb smaller. If you swap from a straight to a skirted banjo using the same booster insert on a flow bench, and use the same bench depression, the signal is the same. In the case of the large skirts it can be less, the large flair on the skirt causes turbulence and kills flow and signal. While there may be isolated cases with poor induction distribution that this may help, causing turbulence in the carb is not conductive to making power.
The
As a result I try to size the carb for the engine it's on. I tend to go a tad larger than some might suggest, but I use custom annular inserts in all my builds that provide a better signal, atomize the fuel more thoroughly. The goal is to use as large as the engine will tolerate and still atomize/vaporize the fuel sufficiently for even distribution. When it is distributed more equally it uses less fuel, displaces less air. And a more homogenous mix also burns quicker, more completely, and needs less timing to do it.
Mark Whitener
____

Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

jmarkaudio wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 am
steve316 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 am What is the advantage of running a 2.4 or larger blade and then having to run a skirted booster to make it work.
Good question... Let me know if anyone else can give you an answer that makes sense...

What I see on the flow bench is that the skirt does nothing more than make the carb smaller. It does make the booster signal higher, but only because it's making the carb smaller. If you swap from a straight to a skirted banjo using the same booster insert on a flow bench, and use the same bench depression, the signal is the same. In the case of the large skirts it can be less, the large flair on the skirt causes turbulence and kills flow and signal. While there may be isolated cases with poor induction distribution that this may help, causing turbulence in the carb is not conductive to making power.
The
As a result I try to size the carb for the engine it's on. I tend to go a tad larger than some might suggest, but I use custom annular inserts in all my builds that provide a better signal, atomize the fuel more thoroughly. The goal is to use as large as the engine will tolerate and still atomize/vaporize the fuel sufficiently for even distribution. When it is distributed more equally it uses less fuel, displaces less air. And a more homogenous mix also burns quicker, more completely, and needs less timing to do it.
All true...

Mike
Mike Laws Performance