Pushrod shape

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Sparksalot
Re: Pushrod shape

Post by Sparksalot »

My last post on the subject as well. I hope you, BOOT have done your due diligence and determined what you're hearing here is correct.

I sense you are young and seeking knowledge and I commend you greatly for your quest for knowledge. My apologies if I'm wrong.

Buckling failure of a column under lateral dynamic loading is one of the most vexing problems looking for a strong analytical solution out there. If you are not busy for the next forty years or so and interested enough there is a life's work ahead of you.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Boot,
I think it is safe to say that a round PR is gives the best strength/weight ratio for what we use PRs for.

People over several decades have had the time & money to experiment with different shapes & cross sections...& are still using round tube. Got to be a message there...
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Geoff2 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:33 am Boot,
I think it is safe to say that a round PR is gives the best strength/weight ratio for what we use PRs for.

People over several decades have had the time & money to experiment with different shapes & cross sections...& are still using round tube. Got to be a message there...
i speculate there are 2 main reasons why we use a round tube pushrod. 1 is it works fairly well, 2 it is cost effective.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

with effectively a ball joint at either end it makes sense for it to be symmetric about every axis i.e. round
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

BOOT wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:07 am......if another shape pushrod will not bend/deflect/buckle better than round.
Think about what you mean by "better". A round pushrod is a column that has the same loading characteristics in any direction AND it's a simple solution. If you constrained a pushrod in one direction it could be non-symetrical and stiffer in another direction. A 2-piece pushrod with the joint sliding in a fixed guide could be MUCH stronger because the column is half as long.

Tubular pushrods have developed because they're simple, predictable, manufacturable, and good enough.
Dave