Auto-electrical power

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ratu
Expert
Expert
Auto-electrical power

Post by Ratu »

Anyone around here fooled around with getting more performance out of a hybrid or an electric car yet?
user-23911

Re: Auto-electrical power

Post by user-23911 »

There's plenty on youtube for E bikes.

Essentially you just need more volts which means more amps then more heat to dissipate along with higher rated switching transistors.
Electric motors don't actually have a voltage rating as such, any such rating just means that they're reliable long term and won't burn out.
More volts corresponds to more RPM and more amps corresponds to more torque.
Doubling the voltage should mean about 4 times the power.
Power is torque times RPM which is also volts times amps.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Ratu wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:28 am Anyone around here fooled around with getting more performance out of a hybrid or an electric car yet?
Getting an electric motor to show better efficiency requires you to redesign the motor. It's not a bolt on type of deal.

My guess is that it's going to be one of the reasons why an electric vehicle will never be able to get the attention of the regular gearhead.

BTW : yesterday I watched Formula E. What a totally mind destroying type of event that was...
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Not really interested in efficiency. Just performance!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:36 am
Ratu wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:28 am Anyone around here fooled around with getting more performance out of a hybrid or an electric car yet?
Getting an electric motor to show better efficiency requires you to redesign the motor. It's not a bolt on type of deal.

My guess is that it's going to be one of the reasons why an electric vehicle will never be able to get the attention of the regular gearhead.

BTW : yesterday I watched Formula E. What a totally mind destroying type of event that was...
An all electric vehicle designed by VW shattered the outright Pikes Peak record yesterday by 16 seconds, that’s with worst pavement and they didn’t rent it for a month to test like when Red Bull sponsored Loeb to break it.

Someone equated it the first turbine in a hydroplane or the rear engine in a dragster moment for this type of racing.

Performance is performance. Everything has its place.
-Bob
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:26 am
An all electric vehicle designed by VW shattered the outright Pikes Peak record yesterday by 16 seconds, that’s with worst pavement and they didn’t rent it for a month to test like when Red Bull sponsored Loeb to break it.

Someone equated it the first turbine in a hydroplane or the rear engine in a dragster moment for this type of racing.

My understanding is that Rimac provided much of the E technology for this program, which spawned the 10% stake of Rimac that Porsche now owns.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I still think it looks and sounds like a bunch of bees flying by and found it a shit event, no matter if they were fast.
Last edited by Belgian1979 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Ratu wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:56 am Not really interested in efficiency. Just performance!
Efficiency leads to more performance. Reducing the airgap of the rotor to the stator and you'll increase it's efficiency thus it's performance.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:02 pm

I still think it looks and sounds like a bunch of bees flying by and found it a shit event, no matter if they were fast.
Formula E isn’t my cup of tea either. I’m all for innovation, and Pikes Peak brings that out. Formula E doesn’t, it’s just racing for the sake of racing.

And that’s what vintage racing is for (and I mean that in a good way, some of those old motorcycle and Grand April engines sound sublime) ;)
Last edited by hoffman900 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Bob
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

As kids; we were custom hand re-winding armatures and upping the supply voltage of our slot cars to make them faster. And swapping drive gearing to make them accelerate quicker for slot car drag racing, too.

better tires, traction compounds on the track too.