Moderator: Team

PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: tunnel ram results

Post by PRH »

540ci with AFR335’s?

Theres a Dart TR with the 4150 top.

Edelbrock sells sideways mount adapters for the 4150 top.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Throw two 1050's on that will really bring it up!!
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

If i assume my AFR gage is correct, and my motor really does make best power with a mid to high 11's AFratio, What would cause that ? A poor cam choice ? Low compression ? Un efficient combustion ? If i could correct that problem there may be some power unlocked.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Just the way it is. Some motors make best power on rich side and others on lean. Probe placement plays a role. Have to check plugs and see where number falls. For 540 i think two 1050,s are not out of equation.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Is that Saskatoon? Always wanted to get over there.looks like its pulling hard to me in pic.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Brian,
cool ride i like it,
i run the same K and N air cleaner on my car out the bonnet as well,now i am not saying you have this problem but i did and i put a thread up here about it,
my air/fuel gauges were erratic at all speeds and i finally made a deflector plate that fits inside the air filter and air/fuel was more solid on display so i am confident the air was turbulent,sheering across the carb or whatever it was doing,also i changed the filter top to the solid chrome as i have read and been told air collides as it enters the top and sides of the air filter,now my testing i found no difference but i believe the deflector plate helps in that instance,i have tested the deflector plate facing forward sort of like a scoop but the turbulence deal came back in to play so it does not work in my application,
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

steve cowan wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:10 am Brian,
cool ride i like it,
i run the same K and N air cleaner on my car out the bonnet as well,now i am not saying you have this problem but i did and i put a thread up here about it,
my air/fuel gauges were erratic at all speeds and i finally made a deflector plate that fits inside the air filter and air/fuel was more solid on display so i am confident the air was turbulent,sheering across the carb or whatever it was doing,also i changed the filter top to the solid chrome as i have read and been told air collides as it enters the top and sides of the air filter,now my testing i found no difference but i believe the deflector plate helps in that instance,i have tested the deflector plate facing forward sort of like a scoop but the turbulence deal came back in to play so it does not work in my application,
I'm probably gonna get roasted for this , but I'm not feeling the air filters. I love them , but I am wondering if doing something along the lines of "Engine Masters" with either a pair of velocity stacks and a solid top or just your filters and solid tops , might not be a better choice.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

I like those air cleaners. It would really like a front facing hood scoop, sealed and shaped internally. I would up the converter to 6000 if it was mine, with at least 4.30's in it too. Those 3 things would drop et a good amount.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am https://www.motortrendondemand.com/deta ... _f6zyfspf/ Good info here.
That's what I'm talking about. I'm not saying I don't like the filters, I'm saying that they might be better used as per the Engine Masters episode.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Could be. But I think the k&n velocity stack filters added hp over no filters at all. Even the salad bowl picked up hp. So until you put on pump know way to know
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Is a hood scoop really worthwhile ? When they get this tall they are so ugly. I have a cowl hood that i can put back on but the whole filter element will still be poking out. I wasn't going to cut a hole in my cowl hood untill i was committed to the t-ram. I kinda like my junkyard blue hood and it gave me a good place to stick 10 years worth of decals.
One thing i've always wanted to try is a David Vizard coscam. I've had 3 different cams in this motor now and i'd like to know what a DV cam would do. Also if i could try an 850 holley or two that might tell me something. Even one would tell me if i'm going in the right direction. All the pump gas 540 + builds you read about are making 800 + hp with a single dominator. I should be able to get there with a t-ram. If the t-ram itself isn't choking the motor.
Brian
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Remember you have to add 80-100hp to your et calculated hp to come up with sea level hp.You have nearly 4000ft air today there.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

What does your et/mph correct to as if you ran at sea level
sae correction air -temp humidity specs?

My friend just uses the top of a 2 piece areo hood scoop, bolted to his (2x eddy) carbs.
(pretty easy to do for drag t esting against your filter setup

The top of that areo scoop could be added on top of your cowl hood too.