Pontiac ram air 5

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Pontiac ram air 5

Post by 1972ho »

Did this engine ever get put in a street car and if it did what car had it.looks like some of it was copied from a ford 427 tunnel port engine parts of the head and intake for sure.And from the article the thing over 500 hp in factory trim anyone know how much it made all raced up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert
Re: Pontiac ram air 5

Post by DrillDawg »

It's states that it was never put in a factory car, but I'm sure the GTO and trans am would of got it.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

There are a few companies that are producing modern verses of the RAV head.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The 400 CID motors where never installed in a production car Stan, but the 366 CID version did make it into a few races in the Trams am series back then until the rules changed and the CID limit of 303 , and then those big tunnel port heads where too big for the low deck 303 motors to make power ( sounds like a Ford motor I know of) and Pontiac had to go back to the RA4 production heads with port work.

Here's a new version of the RA5 heads going on a 540 cid motor, it should make a easy 700 hp in its owners 69 GTO judge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

This quote cracks me up, "....the slow speed of the intake charge tends to moderate some of the camshaft duration, and the engine manages to have more torque than one might expect."

Cool engine, cool article. Thanks for sharing.

JMO,

paulie
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Yes, the good Dr Philp Bauman needs to stick with what he knows about Blood pressure , not air flow velocity vs Cam duration!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

plovett wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 am This quote cracks me up, "....the slow speed of the intake charge tends to moderate some of the camshaft duration, and the engine manages to have more torque than one might expect."

Cool engine, cool article. Thanks for sharing.

JMO,

paulie
He pretty much has it bass ackwards.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I believe Royal Pontiac drag tested one in a 1969 Firebird and after a few runs they spun some rod bearings. I have that magazine in my collection.

This was still in the days of bigger has to be better as in huge round ports! Think those heads would have worked better on the 428/455.
The RA V was an over the counter item mostly in parts I believe and in very limited quantity.
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

I have a few pics of them on "the Farmers" funny car.
results speak for themselves
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I have been building RAV engines for about the last 15 or so years.The factory built 25 complete 303 SCCA short deck V engines but we're not enough to be allowed to run.The did build a few 366 NASCAR engines for the 71-72 season in firebirds,Buck Baker drove one.They built about 100 400 engines that were sold over the counter.They also had some engineering alu blocks,I have owned 2 of them along with 2 of the short deck SCCA engines.My current engine is a complete running 366 NASCAR engine for my 69 firebird.Engineering also built some 4 in stroke and some 4.21 stroke cranks to build a 428 or 455 V engine.And yes the heads were copied from the Ford TP engines.In fact a V intake can be fabed from. Ford TP intake of which I have 2 of them at this time.My 366 engine was just put on my run stand today as it was pulled from the bird to run a 455 for a track car.The V engine was too valuable to take a chance on the race track.Tom
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Has anyone ever dynoed one of the engine per the article spec with the .530 lift cam and 400 cid.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Lynn & Stacy McCarty build the new RAV Heads.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-12 ... r-v-heads/
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

mag2555 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 am Yes, the good Dr Philp Bauman needs to stick with what he knows about Blood pressure , not air flow velocity vs Cam duration!

Why would a medical doctor be writing about cars? You sure it wasn't a PhD? There's quite a difference.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

I know, but if he does or did have a phd he needs to go back to class and review some things!

It was said that back then the 400 cid V motor was making 375 hp as installed in the 69 test car from 1/4 mile times and it sounds about right for those slow flowing heads and the small .530" lift they had with that Cam!
Turbo231

Post by Turbo231 »

Jeff Lee wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:34 am Lynn & Stacy McCarty build the new RAV Heads.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-12 ... r-v-heads/
Just read the article. That's an awesome engine. No telling what the Pontiac engineers could have done back then if they hadn't killed the program. Those heads were just waiting for the 455. It would have stepped up the ante for everyone.