BBC output overview.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: BBC output overview.

Post by gruntguru »

David Vizard wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 am28 lbs of boost?? Well gruntguru I'll wager that traction was a problem!!!

Most powerful mini I have had experience with made 220 hp at the wheels. This I suspect was a lot less than the potential your build had.
DV
Ha - dirt track speedway car so traction was always an issue. Could only ever guess at the power - I always thought about 250 at the crank - enormous midrange. Engine was std stroke, 73mm bore (1370?), 10:1 CR, 30-70-75-25 cam, no intercooler, 67% methanol, 33% race gas, draw-thru one throat of a 45 DCOE. Turbo was Garrett TO4, M-2 compressor, O trim turbine, 0.3 housing.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

That's a shame if indeed Edelbrock have stopped making them - those 100 cc heads have a lot of potential.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

Back when Roger did mine he installed 2.250 int and 1.900 exh, as you know he was a proponent of a good exhaust port.
That particular head was rolled 1.5* prior to machining. By the time he finished, the chambers ended up at 108cc's. We had to have pistons made for them as they were non existent at that time. A company named "Golden Eagle Manufacturing" digitized the chamber and JE made a set SRP pistons for me. The heads ultimately flowed 349 Int and 298 exh@ .650 lift
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

PRH wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:38 pm There are two bbc bare heads with 100cc chambers offered.
The Performer(60489) and Performer RPM(60429).
Both are of the small square-ish “oval port” variety.
I haven’t had any of those in my shop in quite a while, but I believe the difference is the std Performer has a drilled heat crossover passage, and the RPM doesn’t.
PRH,

Thanks for that update.

should have some high bias ex port pics to post later today or tomorrow.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

fastblackracing wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:11 am Dave, Is the bias being applied to help direct the flow towards the center of the cylinder?

In other words to get better exit/discharge past the valve minimizing the effects of shrouding?
Or is it being applied more due to the architect of the port?

Thanks.
Sorry for the late response to a good question.about half the time the form of the original casting limits thing. The rest of the time it is a question of encouraging the air to flow in a path preferred by it and not the head porter.
DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Here is my current stock position BBC exhaust port.

The first pic shows the calipers set to the width at the manifold face.

The second shot shows the width at the guide boss. It does not show as well as I had hoped but the port bias here added almost a 1/4 inch to the port width.

When I have a little spare time I will mold this port but if you can't wait the
Ford ex. port I showed a few pages back is very similar.

DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

If you flow the biased port with enough pipe attached to mimic the typical bend off of the head you will see in a vehicle, what difference do you see on the same port but with a pipe/bend mimicing LH and RH side fittment of that port.?
ie, putting the biased side of the port on the long side of the pipes radius on one side then the short side of the pipes radius on the other.
Craig.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

cjperformance wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:13 pm If you flow the biased port with enough pipe attached to mimic the typical bend off of the head you will see in a vehicle, what difference do you see on the same port but with a pipe/bend mimicing LH and RH side fittment of that port.?
ie, putting the biased side of the port on the long side of the pipes radius on one side then the short side of the pipes radius on the other.
CJ,

Actually no I have not tested what you are proposing.

I did a very extensive amount of research on ex. port to pipe configurations when I was doing my 2 litre Pinto book so learned a lot from that. If the same trends carry through there are effects but not of any huge significance.

On the Pinto tests we did find that the form and direction of flow of the first 6 inches of header pipe did make a difference and I am thinking that the BBC falls into the same category.

I'd be interested in anyone else's comments on this.

DV
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

David I believe I remember seeing NHRA Pro Stock headers coming off the port and going uphill for a few inches and then making the radius turn, doesn't that sound right. Mark H
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

First shot is the exhaust seat just cut. It is right on 0.060 wide.

The next op is to polish the seat and very finely blend it to the radius before and after the actual seat.

On both ports (second photo) the chamber side rad is slightly smaller than the under seat radius.

The under seat rad, especially on the intake, also changes as we go around the seat. This has to be done with a steady hand. the rad on the short side turn is smaller. This has no measurable effect on low and mid range intake flow but does add a few cfm at lifts from about 0.700 or so up.

You will have to look very carefully to see the actual seats here as they are at the limit of discern-ability.

Here is where I want to pose the next question:- how do we now when he port bias flow increases all done without having to go too far with the metal removal?
That is the question that is in the back of the mind of just about every porter.

Fortunaly there is a way to reach optimum without scrapping the head.

If we look at a graph of the discharge co-efficients from the inflection point on up and the port energy we will get a pretty clear indication of when enough is enough. Next post - the hard core port tech stuff.

DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Well, those are the prettiest damn seats I've seen. I'm guessing you've got the "fuel shear" argument addressed- perhaps forthcoming?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I was waiting for that Rev.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Result time.

Here are some results with a BBC port. As for the head used I cannot remember. All I can say is the the casting was selected because any pot bias was absent so the tests started at no bias and went to about 0.200 bias.

Most BBC ports have, whether by intent or otherwise, a small amount of bias and the flow, when the port is given a simple 'skinny the guide boss and clean up the rest of the port' treatment tends to flow, on average, about 285 cfm max.

As can be seen the bias is a high lift flow enhancement tool.

It's effect on the engine is to cut the pumping losses seen as the piston comes up the bore on the exhaust stroke.

A port like this is especially good for N2O applications.

Next we will look at the discharge coefficient of this exhaust port to see how the bias plays into determining what to do next.

DV
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Those aren't 7740 heads from Edelbrock? You can see 70% of the first 7 and 740 in one of the pics at the bottom of page 2. :?:
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

David, I asked before if the bias made the area larger before the SSR.
Bowl area larger than are over the SSR?

Erland