SBC -BRC piston info needed

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

toolmakeron
Pro
Pro

SBC -BRC piston info needed

Post by toolmakeron »

I have these BRC pistons that I've saved for way too long, but want to use them now. I called BRC & they don't have anyone old enough there to remember them, so I can't get the recommended P/W clearance. Anyone remember these or know what the clearances should be. The forging marks inside the pistons say BRC 55, if they are not easily seen in the attached pictures.Thanks Guys Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Custombalancing.com
We Make Honey Out of Dogshit*
* some conditions apply.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC -BRC piston info needed

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I believe those were 4032 alloy if that helps
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

With the buttons they probably were meant to be run at .005+
GURU is only a name.
Adam
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

What I say has nothing to do with current BRC company but I remember those older styles and they had much too much taper on the skirts. They beat cylinder walls to death, maybe thats why the skirt buttons were used. The oil return holes are almost completely missing the ring belt on the inside-I would try to measure the thickness from the oil ring root to the inside of the piston to make sure there is sufficient material, .125 minimum.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

BRC was Bob Brooks. Wayne is JE and Probe
I ran BRC pistons in the late 60's but 3 3/4 bore with Chrysler Hemi Pins 1/16/ 116 rings
all I remember is the clearance was less than the previous forgedtrues
no problems with the pistons (or pins)- they could really take it
we ran pressed pins after kicking out the double lockrings using BBC pins in the Forgedtrues
rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver »

We ran alot of BRC pistons back in the 80's and 90's.... I don't remember any being 4032 alloy. Everything we bought from them was 2618 alloy and 4.0XX" bore stuff ran with .005-.007 piston to wall clearance. Never used any with skirt buttons but your forgings appear to be from about he same time frame we ran them.

DCal is right about the barrel in the skirts of old style BRC's.... Some had quite a bit... Measure yours to be sure. They actually had this info in the paperwork and directions about how to meaure the skirt in the right place before boring.... with BRC's you had to measure like halfway to 2/3 of the way down betwen the oil ring and skirt bottom to get the right size.

I think the people having problems back then were measuring to far up on the skirt getting too small of a measurement and ending up with not enough clearance....

Do you no longer have the paperwork or box.... Should be a "Job Number" on both that BRC can look up.... A fw yrs ago they made us a replacement piston for a 2.2L Chevy which we orginally had pistons custom made for by them back in 1996....

Will
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

BRC was Bob Brooks
Wane Brooks was JE
Dover is now JE
Wayne Brooks is now Racetech
Mark O'neil is Probe
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

wyrmrider wrote:BRC was Bob Brooks. Wayne is JE and Probe
I ran BRC pistons in the late 60's but 3 3/4 bore with Chrysler Hemi Pins 1/16/ 116 rings
all I remember is the clearance was less than the previous forgedtrues
no problems with the pistons (or pins)- they could really take it
we ran pressed pins after kicking out the double lockrings using BBC pins in the Forgedtrues
Wayne has nothing to do with Probe. He did start back up with Autotec/Racetec....but I have no clue why.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Forgedtru eventually became BME....Jahns sorta became ROSS.

And all of us worked pretty much everywhere........
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Wayne has nothing to do with Probe. He did start back up with Autotec/Racetec....but I have no clue why.[/quote]
He told me he was bored. Sorry I spelled your name wrong. Are you any closer to the move?
willyt

Post by willyt »

rklessdriver wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 am We ran alot of BRC pistons back in the 80's and 90's.... I don't remember any being 4032 alloy. Everything we bought from them was 2618 alloy and 4.0XX" bore stuff ran with .005-.007 piston to wall clearance. Never used any with skirt buttons but your forgings appear to be from about he same time frame we ran them.

DCal is right about the barrel in the skirts of old style BRC's.... Some had quite a bit... Measure yours to be sure. They actually had this info in the paperwork and directions about how to meaure the skirt in the right place before boring.... with BRC's you had to measure like halfway to 2/3 of the way down betwen the oil ring and skirt bottom to get the right size.

I think the people having problems back then were measuring to far up on the skirt getting too small of a measurement and ending up with not enough clearance....

Do you no longer have the paperwork or box.... Should be a "Job Number" on both that BRC can look up.... A fw yrs ago they made us a replacement piston for a 2.2L Chevy which we orginally had pistons custom made for by them back in 1996....

Will
I realize this is almost 11 years old, but I'd like to thank you for the information (if you're still here...?). Had a customer bring in a set of BRC's for a SBF with the only marking being "16655" stamped into the bottom, which I can only guess is a part number. But being that BRC doesn't exist anymore, finding information (like where the ideal measurement point is) is a little tricky. Research at least tells me these should be a 2618 forging. I don't know if these are going to work for him, as they're standard bore pistons and this block is fairly old, but we'll give it a try. According to the customer they liked to run these at about .005" PTW, and he had them coated. So who knows.