SBC Oil Filter: 2024's Options?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: SBC Oil Filter: 2024's Options?

Post by skinny z »

Schurkey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 pm Wix filters jumped off of my Favored Vendor list when they got bought-out by Mann + Hummel, and started offshoring various part numbers. Seems like there's no way to tell where a Wix filter is made without checking every one--some are made here, some in China, some in Poland, some on Mars. Even the box says to check the actual product for Country of Origin, so you have to open the box to find out.

There's a hundred companies SELLING oil filters with private-label branding, and about five companies MAKING oil filters. Find out who MAKES your oil filters, and then determine if your filter of choice is from the manufacturer's top-grade, mid-grade, or bottom-feeder product line.
Very true in many areas of manufacturing and those are words to the wise.
This Baldwin deal is a reflection of that.

I'd be the 1st to buy a filter made on Mars though.
Kevin
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

skinny z wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:21 pm Aren't there two in a typical SBC application like the street/strip cars I've always owned? One block the other filter? The filter one being described as a relief valve?
https://rycofilters.com.au/articles/oil-filter-valves
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

skinny z wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:44 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm
skinny z wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:58 pm
Something else to consider is what micron rating are we after? There's data to tell me what my pre and post pump fuel filters should be but I don't recall the same being applied to an oil filter. Obviously it is relevant but I can't say what would be less than suitable or vice versa.
I've just generally considered the larger the filter the better in a SBC sense. I'm surprised at the minute size of the typical LS offering.

Maybe this thread can evolve in that regard.
something not mentioned is about a "by-pass" which on a Chevrolet is part of the filter adapter.

A smaller micron filter will filter better "when it is filtering" however, because it won't free flow as much through the media, the by-pass opens sooner and more often allowing unfiltered oil to "by-pass" the filter altogether; square inches of media will determine the mass flow of what the media can flow through it, as it gets eventually loaded with more and more particles.
That is a very interesting to me as I hadn't considered the filter adaptor and it's relationship to filtering capacity. I thought something in this thread or it may have JC's other forum thread discussed different pressure differentials being inherent from one filter to another. Don't quote me on that as I'm typing off the cuff. My wording may be misleading. Sort of like the term "break-in".
I had considered building a spreadsheet to cover some of the filters mentioned here to see where the differences are. Filtering capacity, vis a vis, microns, seems to be a hot topic.

EDIT: I found that by-pass reference. It was actually referring to the relief valve built into the filter.
A lot of filters have an internal by-pass set at different pressure differentials and a lot of filters don't have any by-pass at all because a by-pass valve is located somewhere else on/in the engine; like a SBC and others.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I've seen the stock Chev oil bypass stuck partially open with pieces of valve seal material. A buddy had thar happen, no idea how long that engine was flowing unfiltered oil. Running only the internal filter bypass might have saved that engine?
Pro question poster.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:16 am I've seen the stock Chev oil bypass stuck partially open with pieces of valve seal material. A buddy had thar happen, no idea how long that engine was flowing unfiltered oil. Running only the internal filter bypass might have saved that engine?
How about NO by-pass at all with high flow media and change the filter a lot...?
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

On your run of the mill SBC, does the filter adapter have a by-pass valve? I trying to recollect what I installed any times) and I'm thinking it's not only an adapter but a valve as well. That thought was represented earlier too.
And my take away from what's been posted is that some filters have a relief valve and others don't given the same application. Further to that is that the valve that's incorporated in the filter can operate at various pressure deltas depending on it's design.
Sound right?
Kevin
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

skinny z wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:34 am On your run of the mill SBC, does the filter adapter have a by-pass valve? I trying to recollect what I installed any times) and I'm thinking it's not only an adapter but a valve as well. That thought was represented earlier too.
And my take away from what's been posted is that some filters have a relief valve and others don't given the same application. Further to that is that the valve that's incorporated in the filter can operate at various pressure deltas depending on it's design.
Sound right?
YES ... a Chevy filter adapter has a by-pass valve in it. Some people block it with a 1/4" pipe plug and others take it apart and install a higher pressure spring in it so it takes a lot more pressure differential for it to open.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

That's what I figured. Thanks Walter.
Looks like the B279 is the one that's next in line for me.

Screenshot_20240228-085540-709.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

JC565Ford wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:57 pm Buy the Baldwin B279 (Chevy performance filter)
That'll be it.
Good thread with a happy ending.
And better still my favourite Canadian online auto parts retailer carries the Baldwin line of filters.
Kevin
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

skinny z wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:28 pm I've made notes on all of the above JC. And thanks.
I'm liking the looks of the Baldwin.
FTR: I opted for the Melling 10553ST. That might boost the GPM up a little. IIRC, cold SAE 30 oil pressure at 50°F might have been 75 PSI. Warm 5W20 was less than 50 at idle.
As for the 500 mile interval, in there, I want to pull all of the rockers and double check my rebuilt trunnions. I'd like to revisit the cam thrust too as both of these presented some problems on the rebuild. So that's my "break-in", so to speak.
Thanks again.
Sounds like you really should consider a controlled run in on a Dyno. Local place doesn't charge much for 2-3 run in pulls. Might be worth considering. Pulling valve covers is one thing, but tearing down to check cam thrust once in the car is a good bit of work, and down time. Have you considered a radiator, e fans and a run stand, at least for a few heat cycles? That's what I did. How is your build progressing Kevin?
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Hey Bill.
It all came together last fall. Or so I thought.
Fresh engine installed with the low mile transmission and previously used converter.
50 miles in on the break-in going through the gears, loading, unloading, all the good stuff. Plenty of heat cycles with Lucas 30 wt. Engine is solid.
The same couldn't be said for the transmission. That's a really long story.
Anyway, once the transmission is rebuilt and a new converter delivered, not to mention waiting for winter to end in these parts, I'm back.
Thanks for asking.
As for the dyno, it was in the works however scheduling wouldn't let it happen before I could get out and drive last fall. I hope the track will corelate with the estimates.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Bill Chase wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:55 pm ...check cam thrust once in the car is a good bit of work,
That is an excellent point. Not so much the work, but the checking. There's the slimmest of chances that the last engine failure cam about from losing that thrust limit and allowed a roller the ride off of a lobe. It was messy. But the cause is most likely a high mileage link bar let go and carnage ensued.
It wouldn't hurt, other than the work, to pull the intake at some point and have a good going over.
Kevin