Help Mike

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Steve

Help Mike

Post by Steve »

We race a 86 Monte Carlo Street Stock 900lf 1100rf 200lr 250rr 53%cross with adjustable pan hard bar. Last night in practice car was loose on accelleration added 1/2 spring rubber to left rear. Second practice car was tight in center but was a tenth faster and easier to drive so I left it alone ( I am dealing with a young driver) lol. The car was fast the first 20 laps then it started falling off fast with the whole car sliding up the track in the center then loose on acceleration which I think is from the car sliding stagger is 1/2 to 3/4 front and 1" in rear. Would lowering the panhard bar help control the slide or what do you think if you need more info let me know. By the way we finished 2nd. :D
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Hey Steve, thanks for posting, I sent Mike an email.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Spring rates

Post by MikeLeone »

I think you have the rear springs on the wrong sides. In street stocks you want the heavier rear spring on the left side, or maybe run them even. The reason it got better with the rubber is that you were getting closer to being correct.

Once you do that the car will come off the corner a whole lot better, but might be tight in the center. Raise the panard to make it turn better.

If it's still tight, try evening the front springs, maybe 1000 across the nose. I've even had success with the 1100 on the left front and the 900 in the RF.

I'm assuming that you are racing on asphalt at a track that has some banking (It might work on dirt too, I'm not sure)

Good Luck

Mike
Steve

Post by Steve »

Tire temps are showing tight after adding the rubber to the left rear after looking at the video the front seems to be losing grip in the middle causing the slide air pressures also show a push. Hope this helps.