chassis weight help

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

molevolent

chassis weight help

Post by molevolent »

i have a 1969 sbc (379) street strip car. mostly strip.
i have backhalved the car with a 4 link kit from comp eng
and tide in the subframe,

i built everything on my own except for the diff, when it was shortened i was talked into putting the rear coil over shocks on an angle, due to driving on street.
i think thats the other thing i regret is no adjustable coils on this car just swap in the coils.

90/10 lakewood shocks in front
3 way adj comp eng in rear

the car is 3040 with me in the driverseat.
left front is 960 right front is 800
left rear 605 right rear 675

i dont know if i can admit this but i have a set of moroso trick springs in the front i ordered the lightest springs they had for a nova, when i installed them the car sat another 3 inches higher than my hotchics springs i had,
i was going to use the technique dave has in his chassis book where he bakes the coils, but i was barley able to put my spring compressor between the windings as it was.and was afraid of coil bind.
so i did the unspeakable and cut the coil on the right front first.
but then when i get in the car it will level out the driverside.(without the left front cut)

so im wondering if my weight on LF and RR are so much higher because of the LF coil not being cut down?

should i cut the LF the same amount as the RF to balance out the suspension?

or can it be caused by my 4 link being preloaded in the car right now?

the car drove and braked dead straight last year, before the new front springs and a ride height adjustment to match front height.
J Simoneaux

Post by J Simoneaux »

You should always make sure you take all the preload out the rear before u start scaling
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Looking at your wheel wieghts a I would say your left front is high.How the wieght is tansfered to the rear tires when the light turns green is what is important.Trial and error is the only way I know.
molevolent

Post by molevolent »

so i pretty much have to go try it out then if it reacts weird i swap things around?

theres no way of telling buy looking at the scales?

checked theres no preload in 4 link right now