Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Between a rock and a hard place

Post by David Redszus »

The global warming coven and the EPA boneheads have a bit of a problem on their hands.

It seems that efforts to reduce an exhaust pollutant, NOx, which is a major contributor to smog, will result in increased CO2 in the atmosphere, "contributing" to global warming.

So now which would you rather have? Smog or Global Warming?

Perhaps in addition to Carbon Credits, Al Gore could sell NOx credits as well. Or maybe each state could decide for themselves.
Cogburn
Expert
Expert

Post by Cogburn »

Gee, seems that producing ethanol creates quite a bit of NOx also.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

The global warming crowd is really taking it on the chin lately. Even the msm is getting into the act after shilling for them all these years.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Considering CO2 based man made global warming is a farce, and a scam that would embarrass P.T. Barnum, maybe they should worry more about something else.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:wink: Quite right, Alan. I am sure the professional 'alarmists for profit' will soon conjure up something equally absurd for those gullible enough to buy into it.

Best regards,

Harry
allblowdup
Pro
Pro

Post by allblowdup »

You mean that they just figured that out now. Crap I could have told them that back in the 70"s (crap I am old). Remember the AIR pumps that added air to exhaust so that they could burn the extra hc in the exhaust and cat all in an attempt to cut NOX. Well if your burning more fuel and burning more air you got mor co2 :? Now they are doing that with deisels. Mileage in the tank, performance is terrible but NOX is much better. Gee what do they think is coming out of the tailpipe. The new urea injection may help because it is a chemical reaction not a combustion process though.
Mark

It's not that I learn slow it's just I forget so fast.
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

What they should do is try to cap off the active volcano in yellow stone. I would bet their Co2 and Nox would be off the scale there, saying nothing about the So2, and other nasty stuff.
Maybe all that believe the global warming and climate change crap should all volunteer to sit on the heat vents of the active volcano's through out the world, you know to keep all that green house gas locked in the earth so it won't escape. How can they say it is bad stuff when their mother earth makes untold tons of it daily? Maybe their mother is trying to tell them all something very important. Maybe those gases are not bad like they all think.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Engguy wrote:What they should do is try to cap off the active volcano in yellow stone.
Want a few million tons of "non-manmade" CO2? Check out places like Lake Nyos in Africa...
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
Cogburn
Expert
Expert

Post by Cogburn »

How about some of the coal pits that have been on fire for most of know history??

What kills me about NOx emissions is that the EPA does sampling in PPM.

How about a car that gets say 60mpg or better that has slightly high NOx emissions in PPM? Is that car making more pollution than some big truck that gets 10mpg and has 2 air pumps to make the NOx rating???

It is actually much less in weight of emissions per mile driven. There is no way the car would even come close to the amount of emissions the truck put out. The car is illegal and the truck hauls mom and a kid to soccer and hockey.
Piledriver
Pro
Pro

Post by Piledriver »

Cogburn wrote:.....

What kills me about NOx emissions is that the EPA does sampling in PPM.

How about a car that gets say 60mpg or better that has slightly high NOx emissions in PPM? Is that car making more pollution than some big truck that gets 10mpg and has 2 air pumps to make the NOx rating???

It is actually much less in weight of emissions per mile driven. There is no way the car would even come close to the amount of emissions the truck put out. The car is illegal and the truck hauls mom and a kid to soccer and hockey.

SSSSShh. That rule exists to help keep US mfrs from having to compete, although on the playing field today it just helps SUVs/PUs etc.

The foreign car guys have been singing that dirge for decades.