SpeedTalk Store - Opinion Columns

Doug Nash crash box on the street

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Doug Nash crash box on the street

Postby henny496 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:58 pm

Hello
I am new to this forum and I look forward to being a memeber on this site
I have a Doug Nash crash box 5 speed with the torsion tube. My project is a street/strip 63 vette. It will be street driven more than raced
I have been told that I can drive with this tranny on the street,, but then told not to.
I have a friend who drives a G-force on the street, but his tranny is face tooth sliders, while mine is Pro shifted
This is a back half full caged car with all of the 63 trim, dash and body components
I have an old drag car 427 I am going to be using at first and I have a narrowed Dana with 19.5 x 33 in MT tires ( 14x 32 in slick will fit)
Anyone run one of these on the street successfully? (Doug Nash)
Any info is greatly appreciated
take care
Tom
henny496

Postby WDCreech » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:45 pm

I know next to nothing about the Doug Nash "Crash Box", but I assume that it is similar to the clutchless transmissions used in some classes, and they pop out of gear under compression unless you hold the stick in gear.
Bill

1964 tube chassis GTO, 2750#, 606 cu. in. Indian Adventures tall deck w/Super Chiefs
best 1/4 et. so far; 8.2550 @ 164.17 all motor
WDCreech

Crash Box

Postby CoMaxRacing » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:11 pm

I agree with WDCreech. I used to run an older G-force 4 spd clutchless in my drag car. Good tranny but it would be a real bear to drive on the street, because unless the face plates had a load against them the trans would nuetral. You could keepsome pressure on the shifter but that would be really hard on the tranny.
CoMaxRacing

Doug Nash

Postby henny496 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Hello
Thank you for the replies.
This tranny does not require you to hold your hand on the gear shift. It is not a true clutchelss type. It is not spring loaded at all
Apparently though each shift has to be made very fast. I am worried about downshifting
take care
Tom
henny496

I ran a Nash Pro-shifted box in my 427 powered Mustang

Postby My427stang » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:53 am

2 weeks, and I grew up a diesel mechanic, so I thought I could shift anything clean if I wanted to.

Every shift will grind unless you power shift it, up or down. The issue is you really need to bang them, even at low speeds, even blipping the throttle and trying to match rpms

I went back and converted back to synchros
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Postby henny496 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:43 am

Hello
Thanks very much for your replies. I have heard that bit about the gear smashing and downshifting problems
You said 2 weeks and that was enough???(427 stang) This is a limited street car, but still a street car. It is getting into some traffic that has me worried. I do live in a rural area, so it won't be the same as driving in a city, but there is some traffic in neighbouring areas
Was yours a Doug Nash or was it just similar in the internals???My one friend in Texas has a G-force and he says his wife can drive it without too much trouble. I think the G-force must be set up differently if so
I love shifting, but , I just don't know about this?
Tom
henny496

Postby Cobra » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:37 am

Doug Nash and G-Force transmissions may cost a small fortune but their roots lie in the transmissions found in many 60's muscle cars. Many of us spent hours grinding off every other syncro tooth and finally progressed to no teeth. Future manual transmissions will feature twin clutches for superior performance.
Cobra

Postby mtkawboy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:59 pm

You might be able to drive it but it would sure get old in a hurry, you have to power shift even coming back down pit road. Never even tried downshifting one.
mtkawboy
Pro
Pro

Postby henny496 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:20 pm

Hello
I do have a Borg Warner super T10 w/9310 gears (nickel case) I can use it and put the nash in for special occasions if I have to
I would break the super T-10 once the car has a slick on it. How much power can the Doug Nash w/torsion tube handle??
Liberty can remachine it, to be more street friendly, but unless it can take a lot of power, it won't be worth it
take care
Tom
henny496

Mine

Postby My427stang » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:46 pm

Mine was a Doug Nash Pro-shifted Toploader. 2 weeks, no kidding, I hated, not because grinding only, but because it made me feel like I was abusing the car every minute and every shift. No kidding like I had to beat a horse to get it to move.

Mine was/is a street car. You can shift a synchrod tranny fast enough IMHO that the powershift-ability of the crash box doesnt outweigh the convenience
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Postby henny496 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:46 am

Hello
Thanks for all of your replies. Unfortunately as much as I want the Doug Nash to work, it looks like I will have to use the Super T-10 for the street
)The super T-10 is a nodular iron case not a nickel case. 904)
I will set it up for the Nash to be used at the track. Most of the driving will be street driving.
I also don't want to attract unessecary atention from the police if the crash box is so difficult. It is a 63 corvette and is done as an old Hot Rod. If the Nash is too diificult and attracts bad attention, it may look as if something is wrong with the car, and then cast the effect that other things may be wrong as well
Thanks again for your replies, but I will start with the super T-10. The Nash will be for the track and some occasional moments on the street
take care
Tom
henny496

Return to Driveline