Speedmaster block Quality in 2023

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Re: Speedmaster block Quality in 2023

Post by 1972ho »

I remember when edelbrock stuff had to be fix after.But that was when there where actual machine shops and not engine shops.Back in the eighties and nineties there were a lot stuff that had to be fixed after you bought it.But you have to talk with people that are not 30-40 years old about it.So none of the engine shops have time to fix problems with most things because there not real machine shops.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Waiting on Kazoom to reply. Hahaha
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

smokie wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:26 pm After 20 years of them selling junk, you would think people would learn.
They did learn. That's why they had to change their name from Pro-Comp.

I wonder what name they're going to use next.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

BOOT wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:02 pm
FC-Pilot wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:46 pm Their stuff is under engineered. If you have the patience to work round it, then fine.
Their stuff is rejects china don't sell LOL i got several ebay intakes & other stuff but the speedmaster https://youtu.be/LKv6dRNbELM , is the worst I've seen n i sent back 3 Holley intakes.

Some of their intake manifolds are those which Professional Products won't accept.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Schurkey wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:42 pm
smokie wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:26 pm After 20 years of them selling junk, you would think people would learn.

Smokie was talking about the stupid people buying their stuff, not the company.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

bob460 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:48 pm
Schurkey wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:42 pm

Smokie was talking about the stupid people buying their stuff, not the company.
People learned to not buy "Pro-Comp". So the company owners changed the name. Eventually, folks will learn to not buy "Speedmaster", and they'll change the name again.
COMP461

Post by COMP461 »

I do not want to seem to take up for them. I have been buying stuff from them for a few years now. I received a BBC aluminum block for a Pro touring engine pump gas engine. My cost on the block was less than a third of the cost of a Dart or Brodix. and with Dart more than a year out on anything I took it. This engine will be a 565 with Brodix BX R 20 degree as cast heads. The shop I support and race out of is basically an 80-year-old engine builder who is not retired and only builds fun projects. He was Eddy Hills Top Fuel crew chief for a few years. He built the Compitition Eleminato engine I use. This shop used to have 5 to 6 people working there in its heyday. Many engine shop builders and racers started as high school kids there or on the fuel team. Big Al trusts no parts and everything is scrutinised and verified. He built a Ford tall deck small block using a Speedmaster block and AFR heads. Here is what he found. The deck was close enough for an amateur engine builder, but he still decked it. out .005 side to side. The line hone was good enough for most, he still dusted it. The block bored like a good race block, and the material was similar to the standard Dart Iron. One thing he found was a machining error in the oiling passages. Would have still run, but he ports all of the passages he can get to on all builds. An older 400 main small block has an issue with the cam thrust being a little too proud, again all good engine builders should check this.

now to the BBC Aluminum block. It was $3500 shipped vs $9500. The line hone was dead on. The deck will need some work and We are replacing sleeves, The sleeves would have run as is but we are changing to a different material. The block does not have valley lugs but that's not an issue as I would not use this block in any power adder application. I feel its good to 1000 hp with out any problems. The engine we are building is going to make around 900 hp on 93 pump gas and be so much less complicated than a turbo engine and about the same weight as a turboed LS.

here are some pictures of the Block before

I also just received these heads and rockers, these heads are a as cast copy of a really good head, the valves are rolled over a few degrees but the rockers fit. It's like they rolled the valves and mounting together. The heads are not in their catalog and are only available if you ask.. The rockers are listed at $360 and the heads are listed at $500 each retail

I'm going to machine on the stand a little to get the pattern I want but they would have run. These heads are going on a 496 street engine. They are way too huge but I feel that Holley Port injection will help

It is not necessary to build a swimming pool to determine that a bowling ball won't float." .....Zora Arkus-Duntov www.facebook.com/COMP461
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
I have had good and bad products from them. Most castings need a bit of work, mostly installed heights/stands etc. I haven't had any bad fasteners which was quite surprising. The castings seem pretty good besides the final machining at the wrong sizing but I bet that will be fixed if not already.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
srsnow

Post by srsnow »

COMP461 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:29 pm
I also just received these heads and rockers, these heads are a as cast copy of a really good head, the valves are rolled over a few degrees but the rockers fit. It's like they rolled the valves and mounting together. The heads are not in their catalog and are only available if you ask.. The rockers are listed at $360 and the heads are listed at $500 each retail

I'm going to machine on the stand a little to get the pattern I want but they would have run. These heads are going on a 496 street engine. They are way too huge but I feel that Holley Port injection will help

You might want to verify the hardness on those shafts, I would be willing to bet they are sub 60HRC, I would guess closer to 48-52HRC from what i have seen.
COMP461

Post by COMP461 »

I rockwelled both this and Jesel Pro and neither are that hard they were with in a point on my tester. That in my opinion is extremely too hard. Bordering on brittle. I have zero issues with the body’s. I’m going to look inside the roller bearings. Again I would not put these on a comp engine but great for a mild .750 lift hot rod engine.
It is not necessary to build a swimming pool to determine that a bowling ball won't float." .....Zora Arkus-Duntov www.facebook.com/COMP461
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

COMP461 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:29 pm He was Eddy Hills Top Fuel crew chief for a few years.
Fuzzy?
-Carl
COMP461

Post by COMP461 »

No Fuzzy had already passed sadly. Dan Olson came next and Al Weiss had it the last two years. Al had done all of Eddie’s specially repair and Machine work for all of his career. Al used to fix cylinder heads and blocks when they were blowed up. Funny I got my big break in competition eliminator when Al became the Crew Chief and I finally got to run the front line splayed valve, Chevy V6s he had built for his own car. The shop used to have 5 to 6 people working there and many of these people came up through the ranks, starting as high school students washing parts, many are now successful engine builders with their own shops or are on professional teams. Al now lives in his motorhome beside his shop as he gets up at two and three in the morning And works on special projects alone.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
Thanks for the feedback. I met Eddie, Ercie and Fuzzy back in the late 80's early 90, just acquaintances. Very nice/good people.
-Carl
COMP461

Post by COMP461 »

I finally flowed the head. I only went to .650. The stock valve job sucks. There a lot left in transition. This is out of box
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Recently picked up a set of their serpentine pulleys for a sbc swp application. Nice fit and finish, half the price of March & others.
Their crank trigger kits are good too, just don't trust the sensors. But for $150, when msd charges $400+ for the same thing still a decent purchase.

Laid a new msd 8610 and speedmaster 7" crank trigger on the table together, literally identical, the speedmaster sensor is garbage though. I'm all for buying quality and paying for it, but to be charged 150-200% more and get the same quality is just plain lunacy.