Lets talk about intake gaskets . . . . .

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BillK
Guru
Guru

Lets talk about intake gaskets . . . . .

Post by BillK »

I think I am getting a little paranoid in my old age :) It seems lately on a few of the other car forums I frequent that there have been a lot of problems with the Fel Pro performance style gaskets with the blue rtv bead around the ports. Mainly it seems like they are moving out of place at the bottoms of the ports and in between ports. I dont know if it is really an issue or if it is installation error ? I have used those gaskets for years and have not had any issues that I know of.

I am putting together an almost stock 350 Chevy engine with cast iron heads. They have a Performer intake. If you go to Edelbrocks web page and look at the instructions it states "do not use competition style intake gaskets" because of this very issue. On this engine I am seriously thinking about just using the stock Fel Pro blue "hard" intake gaskets. They fit the ports and the intake just fine.

What are your thoughts ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Lets talk about intake gaskets . . . . .

Post by Tom68 »

Stockers for a stocker.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
sjre

Post by sjre »

My go to has been the old mr g paper for intakes.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I have always used the metal-core blue Felpros whenever the ports were small enough for them to work.
DON'T PANIC
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

I don't know about gaskets moving, but I have had a problem of water wicking thru the gasket around the water ports on the last 2 sbc's I've build. Shows up at the top of manifold above the water ports as rust and white aluminum oxidation. One was Felpro 1205's and the other was Mr. Gaskets ultra seals.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

2022_K1500_Intake_Gasket_08.jpg
2022_K1500_Intake_Gasket_23.jpg
This was the second time I replaced these. First set I blamed on me using the wrong gaskets--1205s. These are the correct port size for the heads--1256, I think. I was not happy.

But I can't rule out a warped/twisted intake manifold (ZZ4 aluminum). Anyway, the third set seems to be holding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bryan Maloney

Post by Bryan Maloney »

turbo camino wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:43 pm I have always used the metal-core blue Felpros whenever the ports were small enough for them to work.
The steel core Fel Pro gaskets with the -S suffix in the part number hold up well, especially on engines with siamese intake ports. The Fel Pros are only available in .065 thick. The only drawback is they are a nightmare to trim if they hang into the ports.
Cometic made us some in the past in .045 and .060 thickness.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

You're not paranoid. There are very few people that know how to properly check the fit of the intake manifold as to correct angles . It surprises me that some people continue the installation even when the bolts are not lining up. I have seen intake gaskets damaged before the install was finished.
I have had an intake manifold that did not properly crush a gasket side to side, top to bottom, and end to end when test fitting. Switch to another intake that was on hand and fit with proper gasket crush was excellent. There is a tool made for checking your angles although somewhat expensive. Felpro had an article written years ago how to test fit an intake using lead shot for proper gasket crush, top of the port , bottom of the port and end to end. Once you learn this procedure it becomes easy and eye opening.
A fancy gasket will not correct an intake that does not fit correctly. Of course the correct gasket needs to be used and the steel core gasket is good.
Block deck surfacing and head surfacing can change the angles. Warped intake manifolds can cause issues.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Agree with above about fitment... Also, looks to be waayyy... over-torqued bolts/ clamping pressure.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Schurkey wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:39 pm 2022_K1500_Intake_Gasket_08.jpg

2022_K1500_Intake_Gasket_23.jpg

This was the second time I replaced these. First set I blamed on me using the wrong gaskets--1205s. These are the correct port size for the heads--1256, I think. I was not happy.

But I can't rule out a warped/twisted intake manifold (ZZ4 aluminum). Anyway, the third set seems to be holding.
Sucked the wrong way, intake backfire ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

Likely some of the pictures you’ve seen were mine BBC. I’ve installed my share of intake gaskets and never had a problem until the Felpro blue stripe gaskets. I will never use them again. I’m not a Felpro hater just the blue stripe gasket. I used their non high performance gasket to replace it and they were fine. It was not an installation error as so many want to point to. Other experienced techs have had them fail as well.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Had similar issues with a 1205 set. It was purchased during Covid, so I chalked it up to bad QC. But now you have me wanting to pull the intake and check. Thanks BillK. 🤣
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

One of my engines with the blue Felpros hasn't had the intake off since the last cam swap, which I am pretty sure was in 2001. L98 heads/ZZ3 intake.
DON'T PANIC
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Had an eddy performer that sucked from the bottom, flanges wrong angle. Find it ironic eddy says it on their website LOL

Permatex 80062 gasket sealer but makes clean up take more effort/time. Some use that 3M emblem/trim adhesive but that's kinda extreme and a real pita to clean up i hear.

Had to enlarge bolts holes on several intakes, two eddy rpm air gap's on the same rear hole. The bolt would thread in but it was rubbing the hole enough that it would cause the flange to distort n leak when tightened down. Covered it in my intake prep vid https://youtu.be/xQpwhGJ1ID4

I'd still like to get that BHJ angle check tool some day but it's expensive! Felpro use to make a cheaper version but long discontinued. Prob make or have made, my own someday.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Manifold fit was fine. Block has not been decked, light cut only on the heads. Bolts line up perfectly.

I used the stock replacement Fel Pro gaskets. Its ready to go out the door :) Glad I was not the only one rethinking this.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com