Audi s4 5v valve guide r&r

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

matthewest91

Audi s4 5v valve guide r&r

Post by matthewest91 »

Looking for some pointers on how to replace valve guides. Should the head be heated for removal and guides be frozen for install or just lube…

Sifting though information trying to figure out the best plan of attack, any help is appreciated.

-Matt
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Audi s4 5v valve guide r&r

Post by mag2555 »

If you are able to replace them who will do the valve job?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
matthewest91

Post by matthewest91 »

So far I have gathered a Goodson tool valve guide driver for an air hammer and adjustable height guide driver for the install. (Probably unnecessary, might just make a spacer) will return that and get the sizing balls and driver if but was told these guides come factory I.D. Already and should not need the sizing balls.

My plan for the removal thus far is to heat the cylinder head in the oven to around 200 degrees , lube the guide and drive them out.

Thought I’d add what I’ve gather this far.
matthewest91

Post by matthewest91 »

mag2555 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:55 pm If you are able to replace them who will do the valve job?
I ordered a set of newway seat cutters
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

i Just Mira cut the seats that a guy had tried to cut himself.
These are small valves and small seats.

Erland
matthewest91

Post by matthewest91 »

Erland Cox wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:41 pm i Just Mira cut the seats that a guy had tried to cut himself.
These are small valves and small seats.

Erland
Don’t get me wrong, thought twice about posting that info
Although some have had decent success with newway cutters, time consuming and an art no doubt.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

If they are the same as the VW 5 valve 4 cylinder heads then they are no different than any other modern head with small valves. I have been using guides from SBI / Eloy. I do heat the head to about 230 but stopped freezing the guides as it does not seem to make any difference.

Don't fool yourself about the id being properly sized. It probably wont be once you install the guides. I run a reamer through them. You will have to cut the seats and that can be a challenge if you dont have a good seat and guide machine. The Neway cutters will work sometimes, just depends on how whacky the new guides go in. I have an overhead power driver for the Neways. Cant imagine trying to use them by hand and doing a good job.

You mentioned sizing balls ???? Those are only for thin wall bronze guide liners. Not solid guides.

Are you replacing the guides because they are broken ? The wear allowed is pretty substantial and they can be pretty loose and not seem to cause a problem.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
matthewest91

Post by matthewest91 »

Bill,
I emailed the shop that I bought the guides from inquiring about a reamer.
I was debating on a flute piloted solid carbide reamer or the Goodson carbide sizing balls / driver and he said he uses the carbide sizing balls and again I should not need to team but if I do he gave me the size…
I bought some blue point small hole gauges and a decent mic to confirm all of this!

The 4.2 heads are very similar to the 1.8 and 2.7…

To be honest I am trying to broaden my knowledge and enjoy the work, a couple bent valves but nothing broken.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

unless the exhaust guides are smoked, leave them alone. the ex. valves are likely sodium filled so stem to guide clearance should be on the loose end regardless.

chances of the intake guides being even remotely worn are slim to none.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

matthewest91 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:52 pm
To be honest I am trying to broaden my knowledge and enjoy the work, a couple bent valves but nothing broken.
If it didnt break the guides, leave them alone.

Maybe someone else will correct me but I have never heard of using sizing balls in a solid guide.
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
68corvette
Pro
Pro

Post by 68corvette »

I have ported a lot of these, typically intake valve guides are perfect and exhaust is lose and I end replacing only the exchaust guides.
Heating does not make sense as heat expansion rate between aluminum and bronze is almost the same, heating to 100C degrees gives ~0,003mm difference in size (bronze being smaller).
Also check the height before / after installation.

You definitely need to ream the guides after installation.

Solid 6.00mm tap would be the easiest method to ensure that you have straight guides with a correct inside diameter.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

matthewest91 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:11 pm Looking for some pointers on how to replace valve guides. Should the head be heated for removal and guides be frozen for install or just lube…

Sifting though information trying to figure out the best plan of attack, any help is appreciated.

-Matt

so a 20v 1.8t head landed on my bench Friday evening before closing. all 20 guides had been knocked out before it was brought to me.

I obviously did not get a chance to measure guide installed height, and was wondering if you might be able to get me a measurement with the tail end of a pair of vernier calipers?

are the exhaust installed at the same height as the intakes?

to answer your question about installation and if the head should be heated, it depends on how much press the replacement guide will see. measure guide diameter of the removed guides (if you decide to move forward with removal), and compare to your replacements. sometimes the replacement guide will be .0007" - .001" bigger than what came out. if you attempt to drive this into the existing hole, head heated or not, you will crack the head.
matthewest91

Post by matthewest91 »

bentvalves wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:10 pm
matthewest91 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:11 pm Looking for some pointers on how to replace valve guides. Should the head be heated for removal and guides be frozen for install or just lube…

-Matt

so a 20v 1.8t head landed on my bench Friday evening before closing. all 20 guides had been knocked out before it was brought to me.

I obviously did not get a chance to measure guide installed height, and was wondering if you might be able to get me a measurement with the tail end of a pair of vernier calipers?

are the exhaust installed at the same height as the intakes?

to answer your question about installation and if the head should be heated, it depends on how much press the replacement guide will see. measure guide diameter of the removed guides (if you decide to move forward with removal), and compare to your replacements. sometimes the replacement guide will be .0007" - .001" bigger than what came out. if you attempt to drive this into the existing hole, head heated or not, you will crack the head.
Just saw your message. I left for work out of town. Will not be back until Thursday. I can see if a buddy can stop by my house and take the measurement.
Shoot me a text
951-207-0849
matthewest91

Post by matthewest91 »

I had my buddy go by. But I have not removed stem seals yet.
So he was not able to do it.
I’ll see if by the end of day I can ask my anther friend that has a pair. But do not count on it.
I apologize brother
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

bentvalves wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:10 pm

What year ? Audi or VW ? The AERA software only shows it for VW and it says "shoulder flush with cylinder head"
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com