edelbrock on the street vs 4150

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

als427
edelbrock on the street vs 4150

Post by als427 »

Im sure this has been asked dozens of times. always used a holley 750 vac 2nds on my BBc427. while trying to sort new intake vs hood clearance Ive realised the edelbrock sits lower than the holley ( above the air intake base flange) so the air lid can be lower than on the holley ( lid to air vent ) . So I can drop the air cleaner lower and have more hood clearance. Ive never run an edelbrock - ok for the street? - 10:1 headers 4 speed stick 221/226@50 cam want off idle to 5500/6000 performance. No strip use.
I also heard that with edelbrocks there is less of a heat issue where the bowls aren't over the runners?
And that they dont need a clearance between top of choke tower and air cleaner lid
Art

Re: edelbrock on the street vs 4150

Post by Art »

I haven't had an Edelbrock/Carter carb in several years, but I seem to remember that the electric choke assembly and maybe the fuel line keep you from using much of a drop base air cleaner. I think they may have a banjo fitting for more fuel line clearance. Also, engine heat tends to boil the fuel out of the bowl, and they are hard to start after a short time turned off and restarted hot. I had 2 different ones and they acted identically. Also, hard to restart if they sit for a few days. I have had the best luck with Summit vacuum secondary carbs for a street driver.