Balance question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Balance question

Post by cgarb »

Looking for information on how well this assembly I plan to put together will balance up. I know it needs to be balanced by a shop on a machine, the answer I seek is will this work without adding heavy metal or drilling the counterweight to swiss cheese? Crank says 5.7min rods. I assume longer is ok. Building a 406ci engine. Any information would be appreciated.

Eagle 535037505700 4140 Forged Crank 5.7 Min rod 1855g bobweight.
Eagle FSI6000B2000 rods 605g
Mahle 930208255 509g
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Re: Balance question

Post by racear2865 »

Longer rod will present no problem on counterweights. Only problem is counterweights may be cut to much to your balancing liking. Only way to know is pre-way everything and see how it looks to their target weight. If I get a job out that require more than one or two holes, I call customer and tell him I need to cut counterweights to get weight down. I despise swiss cheese. If you have to add more than 2 weights per end- get another crank. U want need to ask me why when u price it

reed
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

That is exactly why I'm asking...so in your opinion should I buy the rods and pistons and then weigh everything first then buy the crank?
JimB

Post by JimB »

Who are you using in Maryland to balance ?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Mark Small
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

If the piston weight includes the pin then your bobweight is probably going to be in the 1670 gram range. I sort of guessed at the big and small end weights based on the last few small blocks I have balanced. Thats going to require a mess of metal taken off and probably should be done by cutting the counterweights down first.

It appears that the weights in the Mahle catalog are for the piston alone without the pin. I just balanced an LS engine and that is the case with that one. If that is the case then your bobweight will probably be around 1800 ? That wouldn't be too bad to do.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

For the SBC, matched kits are dirt common and dirt cheap. Why is your mix-and-match, with a possible expensive custom balance, the best way to go?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering