Spindle Thread Repair

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Spindle Thread Repair

Post by BOOT »

My drop spindles had some shipping damage and with the merchant discount from that, I bought a ReThreading kit off ebay :D

Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
71vette

Re: Spindle Thread Repair

Post by 71vette »

Thanks for posting this. At least once a year either some shop or owner goes to disassemble a rear spindle on a C2/C3 corvette and they go to hammering after removing the spindle nut. Then eventually the project finds its way to me. I have thread files and the dies but for $20 this set is worth ordering in the instances I just need to chase the threads.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

71vette wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:47 pm Thanks for posting this. At least once a year either some shop or owner goes to disassemble a rear spindle on a C2/C3 corvette and they go to hammering after removing the spindle nut. Then eventually the project finds its way to me. I have thread files and the dies but for $20 this set is worth ordering in the instances I just need to chase the threads.
Still gotta take my C3 axles apart someday to refresh and install the Vansteel offset trailing arms But I got the knockout tool :D Still good to know this kit has that thread size 8)

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

71vette

Post by 71vette »

Holy Moly, I have never even heard of those. Why havent my fastner suppliers (who I buy my taps and dies from) ever offered those to me? I am going to ask them if they are aware of them. Its learning like this that both humbles me and is a reminder that the people who post on SpeedTalk make it such a great asset.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I seen a pic of where a gut cut one in half n welded the halves to some channel-locks

[edit] Also a lot of time, if you have more than enough thread, just grinding or cutting the end/tip off works

Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

I have the snap on version of that set, it doesn’t get used a lot but when it’s needed it’s excellent. Does those old ones and many of the newer fwd axles.