starting/oiling bbc after sitting 3 years and dynamic compression test

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

als427
starting/oiling bbc after sitting 3 years and dynamic compression test

Post by als427 »

ok all posted last year should I prime oil pump prior to starting after sitting 2-3 years.work life kids family weather money got in the way of me doing anything but now doing this.I dont have an oil pump primer. Engine has 100 odd miles after rebuild several years ago and original engine break in oil.
On another note also concerned cam is a bit too large for street with my static comp ratio so:
Best safe way to restart car without priming pump? Im thinking pull the spark plugs and distributor supply and crank until I get a good pressure read on the car pressure gauge?
Should I remove valve covers and squirt a bit of oil on top of rockers etc / Squirt a bit into the cylinders if plugs out/ or is this overkill?
With all that and the plugs out - good idea to check cranking pressure? - hoping it's around 150-180psi for a decent street engine.
Presumably best to do that once Ive initially cranked a bit and built oil pressure ?
thanks all
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Re: starting/oiling bbc after sitting 3 years and dynamic compression test

Post by Baprace »

I would not spin the engine over with valve train attached , you may ruin the camshaft , back off the valves if you want to spin it to get oil pressure. An old distributor makes a great priming tool with a little modification.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: starting/oiling bbc after sitting 3 years and dynamic compression test

Post by Schurkey »

Make sure there's clean oil in the pan. Prime the carb, make sure the choke works (if applicable). Popping the valve covers and oiling the valvetrain is not a bad idea.

Fire the biitch up.