430 Lincoln Engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

qabob420

430 Lincoln Engine

Post by qabob420 »

Does anyone have any experiance making decent horsepower out of a 430 Lincoln? I have a tripower manafold and Holley carburators from a Mercury Super Meradure .I was thinking about building a street rod with this combo.Any ideas would be appreciated.
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

It would be ok in a Rat Rod that had a nostalgia look as far as appeal would go. For pereformance, you willbe better to look at just about any other engine there is now available.

IN their day they were tough and several fast cars had them. That was though in their day. There used to be cams for them and some aftermarket parts. I doubt if there is today.

It was a big cubic inch big engine that was usually stuck in a smaller Ford like a 1955 - 1957 or Thunderbird or in earlier Fords. It was heavy and had lots of torque for it's day.

Ed
xenginebuilder
Expert
Expert

Re: 430 Lincoln Engine

Post by xenginebuilder »

qabob420 wrote:Does anyone have any experiance making decent horsepower out of a 430 Lincoln? I have a tripower manafold and Holley carburators from a Mercury Super Meradure .I was thinking about building a street rod with this combo.Any ideas would be appreciated.
Talk to these guys:
http://www.ford-y-block.com/
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

By any stretch of the imagination a 430" Lincoln would provide more than enough horsepower for a street machine. Thoughts come to mind.

1. A 6-71 GMC blown 430" Lincoln was NHRA Top Eliminator back around 1962 or so. The blower drive interfered with the distributor drive, so it used a chain-driven magneto.
2. The block deck is at an angle. It takes a custom deck plate to accomodate a block-mounted boring bar. Might be easier today to use the main bearing bore mounted milling machine type boring operation.
3. I'll look for a camshaft for the Lincoln for you. I may have seen some in a pile somewhere.
4. Ford used a variety of bell-housing bolt patterns on these engines. Make sure you choose one for which you have a transmission available.

thnx, jv
Last edited by PackardV8 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
C Stevens
Pro
Pro

Post by C Stevens »

Risky used to grind cams for them, (MEL series 383, 410, 430, and 462 CID) I think the only problem now would be getting a core to grind one on. BTW, an FE series oil pump will interchange. these things make gobs of torque but don't like to rev much past 6500.
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

It's got a Lincoln motor & it's really souped up - That Model A body makes it look like a pup......Ooops, I was drifting back into childhood there for a moment.

:D
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Old tale,
When I was young and in my teens in our street racing crowrd were two different but similar cars that were Bad Boys. One was a 1957 Ford with a 406 Tri-Power in it and the other was a 1955 Ford with a 430 Lincoln in it.

The 406 was a factory Hi Performance 425 hp rated engine. The 430 lincoln had a cam and a good set of pistons. Both had minor port work by the same local guy. The Lincoln had 2 x 4 AFB carbs on it. The Ford 406 Had a 4.57 rear gear and the Lincoln 430 had a 4.11 gear. Both cars had the big Ford 4 Speed Tranny that came behind the Big Ford's. Those two guys were friends until racing day and helped each other on their cars.

Both cars were pretty much even in performace. On any particular night either one could win.

So in it's day the 430 Lincoln was not a slouch when hot rodded. Today it could not come close to most of the engines available including the small blocks. For Rat Rod and for Nostalgia purposes it would stiuill be a really cool engine for people to see. For performance I think it would be a waste of money to hop it up. The heads were terrible as most Ford Motors Heads were back then. If you could get some of the old supercharging stuff and put one together now as a supercharged streeter then you might have something unique and also powerful becyause the supercharger helped make up for the cylinder head negatives.

There was a guy in Oklahoma City (can't remember his name now) that sucessfully raced a Top Dragster in the early 1960's using one with a blower. He used to run or own a wrecking yard on the south side of town, but for the life of me, I can't remember his name. he did actually win some big races with his and the nationals one year. Of course back then even Oldsmobiles were strong too. lol. Buddy Rice (Oklahoma City) won A/Street Roadster several years with an old Oldsmobile. Man' I know that guys name that had the Lincoln Dragster but can't remember it now.

Ed
UDHarold
Expert
Expert

Lincoln Wins

Post by UDHarold »

Don't forget Joe Lunati's win in 1964(I think) at the US Nationals at Indianapolis in a "Roadster" with a fuel injected Lincoln, that I think was a bored and stroked 430. The roadster was one of those plastic bodies for sports cars, and Joe looked like he was almost sitting on top of it.......

UDHarold
Last edited by UDHarold on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
662-562-4933
brookshire@panola.com
crumple
Post by crumple »

Here's a vid of Brian Stefina's '58 Monterey
430 6V pure stocker.

Click--> http://tinyurl.com/2qnxcz

T-85

Post by T-85 »

qabob420 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:20 am Does anyone have any experiance making decent horsepower out of a 430 Lincoln? I have a tripower manafold and Holley carburators from a Mercury Super Meradure .I was thinking about building a street rod with this combo.Any ideas would be appreciated.
The 430 I put together probably was around 400 hp, the thing that seem to help getting a little extra free horsepower was port matching, heads, intake, exhaust and intake manifold in those days Carter AFB E series were readily available and they gave a great power boost. I would have liked very much to gotten a tripower manifold, I also had a cam ground to Clay Smith specs, I don't know what the lift was but it was a 300 degree, I never used it because in order to use it I would have had to have the valve guides fly cut to receive 427 valve springs, stock 430 springs were rather soft and as the age the engine would have valve float below 5,000 RPM.
stealth
Guru
Guru
Re:

Post by stealth »

RW TECH wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:28 am It's got a Lincoln motor & it's really souped up - That Model A body makes it look like a pup......Ooops, I was drifting back into childhood there for a moment.

:D
Did your pappy have to throw your bail? :)
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

FWIW, Charlie Ryan was from here in Spokane and I saw the original Hot Rod Lincoln at shows around here for years. It was a stretched Model A with a Lincoln Zephyr flathead V12.

Well, you heard the story of the Hot Rod race that fatal day
When a Ford and a Mercury went out to play
Well this is the inside story, and I'm here to say
I was the kid that was drivin' that Model A

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up
And that Model A body makes it look like a pup
It's got 12 cylinders, uses them all
With an overdrive that just won't stall

It's got a 4-barrel carb and a dual exhaust
4:11 gears, you can really get lost
It's got safety tubes, and I'm not scared
The brakes are good, and the tires are fair